I realize this Valentine’s Day balloon heart tutorial is coming so late in the love day game, but the idea just came to me recently (based on this balloon arch from last year) and I had to try and rush to put it out there just in case anyone needs a last minute backdrop for a party or Galentine’s Day or something. You never know! As you know, I’m super last minute in everything so perhaps there’s a kindred spirit out there? Yeah? I was thinking it could be fun as a backdrop or just a fun decor piece. And this one didn’t nearly take as long as the arch, nor did it cost as much. Bonus!
If you make this project, don’t forget to tag it with #larsmakes. I like to feature your work on my feed and on blog posts!
- red balloons
- pink balloons
- pearl pink balloons
- neon pink balloons
- rose balloons
- wild berry balloons
- coral balloons
- white balloons
- clear balloons
- light pink balloons
- medium pink balloons
- balloon pump (or for an even Faster alternative)
- glue gun
- low temp glu gun
- gaffer tape
- glu dots
- flowers (I used artificial ones this time)
- The steps are the same for the balloon arch, but the form of the heart I used heavy duty cardboard.
- Cut the cardboard into 2 1/2″ wide strips and then at a variety of lengths to fit the curves of the heart.
- Start with the center of the heart and create an “L” by gluing two pieces together.
- Continue gluing pieces onto each other. Trade off gluing under and over. This will help it keep flat.
- Once the heart shape is formed, add on the first base of the balloons. The trick to the effect of the balloons is to make a variety of sizes in various colors. I added on the biggest balloons first with gaffers tape to the cardboard.
- Once the biggest balloons are covering the cardboard, start adding on the smaller balloons with your lo temp glue gun or glue dots.
- Continue until you can’t see the cardboard anymore and you are layering balloons on top of balloons.
- Once the heart is filled with balloons. Attach the string to the top two sides of the heart and hang it in your desired spot.
- Add in the flowers. You might need to secure it with wire to the cardboard.