This beautiful layered cake has a creamy filling with a mild pumpkin flavor and a little spice. It’s quick and always turns out so well. The nuts and caramel topping add a nice finishing touch.
This is a great recipe. Very light and not too sweet with a great pumpkin flavor.
I did use more pumpkin spice than what the instructions states, a little less confectioners sugar, and used no nuts. I had lots of coworkers asking where the recipe came from.
1 package yellow cake mix (regular size)
1 can (15 ounces) solid-pack pumpkin, divided
4 large eggs
1/2 cup 2% milk
1/3 cup canola oil
1-1/2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice, divided
1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
1 cup confectioners’ sugar
1 carton (16 ounces) frozen whipped topping, thawed
1/4 cup caramel ice cream topping
Pecan halves, toasted
- Preheat oven to 350°. Line bottoms of two greased 9-in. round baking pans with parchment paper; grease paper.
- Combine cake mix, 1 cup pumpkin, eggs, milk, oil and 1 teaspoon pie spice; beat on low speed 30 seconds. Beat on medium 2 minutes. Transfer to prepared pans.
- Bake until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean, 25-30 minutes. Cool 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks; cool completely.
- Beat cream cheese until light and fluffy. Beat in confectioners’ sugar and the remaining pumpkin and pie spice until smooth. Fold in whipped topping.
- Using a long serrated knife, cut each cake horizontally in half. Place one cake layer on a serving plate; spread with a fourth of the filling. Repeat three times. Drizzle with caramel topping; sprinkle with pecans. Store in refrigerator.
1 slice: 476 calories, 24g fat (12g saturated fat), 82mg cholesterol, 367mg sodium, 58g carbohydrate (41g sugars, 1g fiber), 6g protein.