These super decadent fries are Tex-Mex in it’s truest form. Perfect for watch parties, game-day celebrations, and serious steak cravings.
Made this? Let us know how it went in the comment section below!
YIELDS: 4 – 6 SERVINGS PREP TIME: 0 HOURS 25 MINS TOTAL TIME: 1 HOUR 0 MINS
FOR THE SEASONING MIX
2 tsp. garlic powder
1 1/2 tsp. onion powder
1 1/2 tsp. paprika
1 tsp. freshly ground pepper
1/4 tsp. cayenne
FOR THE FRIES AND STEAK
1 (1-lb.) package frozen fries
12 oz. flank steak, sliced into 5″ sections
1 tbsp. vegetable oil
FOR THE CHEESE SAUCE
3 tbsp. butter
3 tbsp. all-purpose flour
1 c. whole milk
2 c. shredded cheddar
1 1/2 tbsp. lime juice
1 medium tomato, diced
1 small yellow onion, finely diced
1/4 c. sour cream
1. Make the seasoning mix: Mix all ingredients in a small bowl.
2. Make fries and steak: Preheat oven to 425°. On a large baking sheet, bake french fries in a single layer according to package instructions. Season with salt to taste immediately after they’re baked.
3. Meanwhile, rub steak with vegetable oil and season with 1 ½ teaspoons salt and 1 tablespoon seasoning mix. Heat a medium cast iron skillet over medium-high heat. Add steak and cook, flipping once, until a deep golden crust forms on both sides of the steak, about 5 minutes total. Let meat rest 10 minutes before slicing into 1” cubes.
4. Make cheese sauce: In a medium saucepan over medium heat, melt butter. Add flour and cook until just golden, 1 to 2 minutes more. Add milk and bring to a simmer, then whisk in cheese and let thicken, 3 to 5 minutes more.
5. Assemble: In a small bow, mash avocados with lime juice and 1 teaspoon seasoning mix, and season with salt. Top fries with cheese sauce, sliced steak, mashed avocado, tomato, onion, and a dollop of sour cream. Sprinkle on remaining seasoning mix and serve immediately.