Italian food, gotta love it! Pizza and pasta, what’s not to love? Every so often I like to have an Italian Night where I serve one of our favorite Italian meals with all the trimmings. Recently I made this delicious Tuscan Jumbo Scallops with Pasta. It’s the perfect Italian dish for seafood lovers!
Bet you don’t think of Jumbo Scallops when you’re hungry for some Italian cuisine. Well think again because these Jumbo Scallops over pasta is one of the best Italian dishes you’ll ever have. It combines perfectly seared Jumbo Scallops in a creamy sauce served over a bed of plain spaghetti. So if you’re looking for something to wow family and friends this is it!
So plan an Italian night to shine the spotlight on this incredible dish. Bust out the olive oil, pasta bowls, and of course the wine glasses! Paired with a nice dry Pinot Grigio this Tuscan Jumbo Scallops with Pasta dish is simply to die for! Here’s the recipe!
2 Tbs. olive oil
1/2 Cup onion, diced
1 Tbs. Minced garlic
2 Lbs. Jumbo Scallops – lightly season each side with salt and pepper
4 Tbs. Butter
1 1/2 Cup Chicken Broth
3/4 Cup Heavy Whipping Cream
3/4 Cup White Wine or chicken broth
1 Jar Sun dried tomatoes – drain, reserve the oil, slice tomatoes
2 Cups fresh spinach leaves
1 Pkg. Spaghetti
1 Tbs cornstarch dissolved in 1 Tbs water
Chopped parsley and fresh black pepper for garnish
Shredded fresh parmesan cheese grated for topping
- Heat 2 Tbs of butter in a heavy skillet, cast iron if you have one.
- Add the Jumbo Scallops and cook for 3-4 minutes or until the bottom forms a brown crust and is no longer sticking to the pay.
- Gently turn the scallops and cook for 3-4 minutes or until the bottom forms a brown crust.
- Remove from pan and place in a foil covered pan for now.
- Melt 2 Tbs. butter in the same skillet and add the onions. Cook for 5 minutes stirring until the onions have softened.
- Add garlic and cook another minute.
- Pour in the wine and deglaze the pan (pour a cold liquid in the hot pan to get up all the brown bits stuck to the bottom of the pan. These brown bits are where all the flavors are. )
- Let the wine cook down until it’s reduced by half, aboout 2 minutes.
- Pour in broth and cream and bring to a simmer.
- Pour in the dissolved cornstarch and whisk until combined. Cook another 5-8 minutes until the sauce thickens.
- Add spinach and sun dried tomatoes and some of the reserved oil from the jar. Stir spinach in the sauce until it wilts.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Place Jumbo Scallops into the pan. Cover pan and turn off the heat.
- Cook spaghetti according to the package directions. Drain then add to the pan of scallops.
- Toss spaghetti in the sauce to combine and serve immediately.