These super decadent fries are Tex-Mex in it’s truest form. Perfect for watch parties, game-day celebrations, and serious steak cravings.
Made this? Let us know how it went in the comment section below!
YIELDS: 4 – 6 SERVINGS PREP TIME: 0 HOURS 25 MINS TOTAL TIME: 1 HOUR 0 MINS
FOR THE SEASONING MIX
2 tsp. garlic powder
1 1/2 tsp. onion powder
1 1/2 tsp. paprika
1 tsp. freshly ground pepper
1/4 tsp. cayenne
FOR THE FRIES AND STEAK
1 (1-lb.) package frozen fries
12 oz. flank steak, sliced into 5″ sections
1 tbsp. vegetable oil
FOR THE CHEESE SAUCE
3 tbsp. butter
3 tbsp. all-purpose flour
1 c. whole milk
2 c. shredded cheddar
1 1/2 tbsp. lime juice
1 medium tomato, diced
1 small yellow onion, finely diced
1/4 c. sour cream
1. Make the seasoning mix: Mix all ingredients in a small bowl.
2. Make fries and steak: Preheat oven to 425°. On a large baking sheet, bake french fries in a single layer according to package instructions. Season with salt to taste immediately after they’re baked.
3. Meanwhile, rub steak with vegetable oil and season with 1 ½ teaspoons salt and 1 tablespoon seasoning mix. Heat a medium cast iron skillet over medium-high heat. Add steak and cook, flipping once, until a deep golden crust forms on both sides of the steak, about 5 minutes total. Let meat rest 10 minutes before slicing into 1” cubes.
4. Make cheese sauce: In a medium saucepan over medium heat, melt butter. Add flour and cook until just golden, 1 to 2 minutes more. Add milk and bring to a simmer, then whisk in cheese and let thicken, 3 to 5 minutes more.
5. Assemble: In a small bow, mash avocados with lime juice and 1 teaspoon seasoning mix, and season with salt. Top fries with cheese sauce, sliced steak, mashed avocado, tomato, onion, and a dollop of sour cream. Sprinkle on remaining seasoning mix and serve immediately.
We all know breakfast is the most important meal of the day, but finding something the whole family can agree on? That’s another story. However, once you know how to make french toast, even your pickiest eaters will become fanatics. Our classic and fluffy french toast recipe is simple enough to serve on a weekday but can be gussied up to add to your brunch menu.
Our super easy (we promise!) recipe for making French toast from scratch takes just minutes, and it means you can get a decadent and sweet breakfast on the table even on the busiest of days (though it’s certainly not a healthy breakfast — but you already knew that). Our dish starts with milk, eggs, cinnamon, and vanilla, which get whisked together. We use challah, a sweet and eggy loaf, as the base for our classic french toast recipe, but you can use any bread you have on hand. The best french toast recipe relies on thick slices of bread that can soak up all of the spiced custard for the ultimate fluffy breakfast treat.
Once the slices are pan-fried to the perfect golden brown, you can top this easy and impressive breakfast with anything you like We love a dollop of Greek yogurt, a sprinkle of fresh berries, and a drizzle of maple syrup which makes a breakfast perfect for weekdays and special occasions alike. Or drizzle on warmed Nutella, pile on the sliced bananas, and add a scoop of the best ice cream, and this easy french toast recipe becomes dessert. Pass the fork!
YIELDS: 4 servings TOTAL TIME: 0 hours 25 mins
6 large eggs
1 1/2 c. whole milk
1 1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
1 1/2 tsp. pure vanilla extract
8 1-inch-thick slices challah bread
4 tbsp. unsalted butter
Yogurt, berries, and pure maple syrup or honey, for serving
This ingredient shopping module is created and maintained by a third party, and imported onto this page. You may be able to find more information about this and similar content on their web site.
- In large, shallow bowl, whisk together eggs, milk, cinnamon, and vanilla.
- Working in batches, place 2 bread slices in egg mixture and let soak 2 minutes. Flip and soak 1 minute more (both sides of bread should be totally coated in mixture).
- Meanwhile, heat 1 tablespoon butter in large nonstick skillet on medium-low. Once melted, add soaked bread and cook until golden brown, 1 to 3 minutes per side; transfer to wire rack. While toast is cooking, soak next batch of challah slices.
- Repeat with remaining butter and bread. Serve topped with yogurt, berries, and syrup or honey if desired.
Best Homemade French Toast Ever