After my grandchildren’s birthday party I found myself with a box full of single serve chips, mostly Fritos. Clearly this corn chip was not a guest favorite, it’s not exactly one of my favorites either.
I didn’t want to waste the chips so I decided to incorporate them in a recipe or two, I do have plenty of them. I remembered hearing about Frito Pies. I’ve never had it and didn’t really know how to make it, but how hard could it be?
I tossed the ingredients together and came up with this casserole that my family loves. It’s going to be part of our meals from now on, I guess we’ll need more Fritos!
You can serve it as a meal with a green salad, fill a tortilla with it for a burrito, or even use it as a dip! The great part is you can make it ahead of time and pop it in the oven when you’re ready.
1 lb. ground beef
1 tbls. chili powder
2 tbls. garlic powder
1 tsp. crushed red peppers (optional if you want it a bit spicy)
1 can black beans
1/2 cup salsa (mild, medium, or hot)
1/2 cup sour cream
2 cups shredded cheddar & monteray jack cheese mix
2-3 cups Fritos corn chips or any other brand corn chips
1. Cook beef until crumbly, add chili powder, garlic powder, crushed peppers to meat as you cook it.
2. Drain black beans and add to meat. Cook for 2 minutes more.
3. Place beef mixture into a mixing bowl stir in salsa, sour cream, and 1 cup shredded cheese.
4. Spread a layer of chips on the bottom of an oven safe baking dish.
5. Spoon beef mixture over the chips.
6. Sprinkle remaining chips and cheese on top.
7. Bake in 350 degree oven for 10-15 minutes or until the cheese melts.
If you are preparing this ahead of time stop at step 6, cover and refrigerate until ready to use.
Sprinkle the chips and cheese on it when you’re ready to bake it.