In my effort to change our eating habits to something a bit healthier than meat and potatoes I make a meatless meal at least once a week. One of my favorites is this Veggie Stir Fry.
It’s amazing how filling and tasty a simple meal of healthy veggies can be. This week I made this dinner of zucchini, spinach, and tomatoes. It was delicious, my husband loved it. You can serve it with a piece of whole grain bread if you wish; the bread is great for dipping in the juices.
You can also serve this dish as an appetizer or side dish. It’s so good! It goes great with barbecued and roasted meats.
1 large organic zucchini, cut into 2″- 3″ strips
1 cup fresh organic spinach
1/2 cup organic cherry tomatoes, halved
1 tbls. organic coconut oil
1 tbls. minced garlic
1 tsp. cayenne red pepper
Sea Salt to taste
1. Heat oil over medium heat
2. Add garlic, sautee until it turns golden, stir constantly
3. Add zucchini, cook until it starts to soften about 5-6 minutes, stir constantly
4. Add tomatoes, cook until juices start to come out, stir constantly
5. Add spinach, cook until leaves wilt and turn bright green, stir contantly
I babysit my twin grandbabies 3-4 days a week, and they are adorable handfuls! They keep me so busy that it’s hard to find the time to make dinner, that’s about when they get a wee bit fussy. Many days my husband and son pick-up dinner on their way home, but there’s really nothing like a home cooked meal.
To keep us fed and the twins happy I’ve turned to my crock pot. It makes my life so much easier, it’s a great way to multi-task. I toss ingredients in it in the morning before the twins arrive and have dinner ready in the evening. My crock pot is even big enough to cook food for my son and his wife, so I pack some up to go. I just have to keep reminding them to bring back the containers if they want more home cooked meals!
Beef Stew is one of the best things to cook in a crock pot. The slow cooking process makes the meat tender and tasty so you don’t have to use the more expensive cuts of meat. I’ve made stews on the stove, most of the recipes I’ve come across involves dredging the meat in flour, just an extra messy step in my opinion. My crock pot stew doesn’t involve dredging, I just toss all the ingredients in the pot and my stew comes out just as good, if not better.
Beef stew is just one of those comfort foods that I need every so often, specially when it’s chilly outside. I know that sounds weird if you know I live in Hawaii, but has been getting quite chilly at my house, at least for me. I wear a sweater when the temperature drops to 60!
My family, like most folks in the islands, eat stew with steamed white rice. You can serve this stew with rice, or any other starch you prefer. Hope your family loves it the way my family does! Enjoy!
The Best Crock Pot Beef Stew
3 1/2 lbs. chuck roast
1 lb. bag baby carrots
3 large celery stalks
6 small or medium sized potatoes ( I prefer Yukon Gold or the Red Skinned ones)
1 large onion
2 cups vegetable broth
1 1/2 cups beef broth
1/2 cup balsamic vinegar
1 tbls. rosemary (dried or fresh)
1 tbls. oregano (dried or fresh)
3 tbls. cornstarch
sea salt to taste
1. Cut roast into 1″ chunks trimming off fat.
2. Wash celery stalks and slice into 2″ sections.
3. Scrub potatoes well and cut in half, then cut halves into 4 chunks each.
4. Toss everything, including baby carrots, into the crock pot.
5. Sprinkle with spices.
6. Pour vegetable broth and 1 cup beef broth over all.
7. Dissolve cornstarch in remaining 1/2 cup beef broth and pour over all.
8. Stir everything together making sure the cornstarch mixture is well distributed.
9. Cover pot and set on slow cook for 8-10 hours.
Serve when ready. Store leftovers in airtight container in the refrigerator. Believe me you’ll want to make extra just for leftovers, it tastes even better the next day!