Recently I’ve been craving some comfort food. To me nothing is more comforting than homemade pudding. I’ve been busy making all kinds of puddings, but I wanted to make a pudding that my grandson Jett can have too. He’s allergic to dairy and eggs so I came up with this Vegan Coconut Tapioca Pudding. It uses just 4 ingredients and takes less than 20 minutes to cook.
Last week I made this Tapioca Pudding for one of our barbecues. Most people don’t think about serving pudding to company thinking it’s too messy. It can get a bit messy when folks serve themselves out of a big bowl like those offered at some Chinese Buffets I’ve been to, very unappetizing. But it doesn’t have to be that way at all, like with most foods presentation is everything! I served my pudding in half pint jelly jars, it not only looks pretty it’s easy to serve and store.
Here’s my recipe. It’s good enough for company!
1 cup small pearl tapioca – not instant
2 cans coconut milk
1 cup sugar
1 tsp. clear vanilla extract
1. Soak tapioca in a bowl of water overnight in the fridge.
2. Drain tapioca and place in a large pot.
3. Add coconut milk and sugar.
4. Cook over medium high heat until it boils. Stir constantly to dissolve the sugar and to keep the bottom from scorching.
5. Once it starts to boil – it should be thickening and tapioca pearls should be translucent – reduce heat to low and cook another 5 minutes or until all the tapioca pearls are translucent.
6. Remove from heat and stir in vanilla extract.
7. Pour into bowl and cover with plastic wrap. Place in fridge until ready to serve. If you will be portioning the pudding pour into jelly jars, custard cups, wine glasses, etc. and cover.