Filled with spice-rubbed chicken breast and brown rice, this hearty casserole casserole is a healthier take on Tex-Mex. Meal planning? Leftovers taste just as good the next day!
YIELDS: 6 SERVINGS PREP TIME: 0 HOURS 5 MINS TOTAL TIME: 0 HOURS 20 MINS
1 1/2 c. brown rice
1 1/2 lb. chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch chunks
1 tbsp. smoked paprika
2 tsp. ground cumin
2 tsp. dried oregano
1 tbsp. olive oil
1 tbsp. chopped garlic
1/3 c. chopped onion
1 diced green bell pepper
1 (7.5-oz) can no-salt black beans, drained
1 large beefsteak tomato, diced (OR 1 can diced tomatoes)
2 c. red enchilada sauce
1 c. water
3/4 c. shredded cheese (such as Mexican cheese: blend of cheddar, Monterey Jack, and asadero)
Sea salt & pepper, to taste
Freshly chopped cilantro, for garnish
Avocado, sliced, for garnish
- Preheat oven to 400°. Cook rice according to instructions and set aside to cool.
- Season chicken breast with smoked paprika, cumin, and dried oregano.
- Set a deep (nonstick) skillet on medium heat, and once hot, add olive oil, garlic, onion, and bell pepper. Cook for 2 to 3 minutes until the outside of the onion has slightly browned.
- Add chicken breast and cook for about 3 to 5 minutes.
- Fold in the cooked brown rice, then stir in the black beans, tomato, enchilada sauce, and water. Mix everything together and bring to a light simmer. Reduce the heat to low-medium, then cover and cook for 8 to 10 minutes.
- Remove the top, stir up the chicken and rice and season to taste with sea salt & pepper. Sprinkle on some cheese (if desired), then bake for 5 to 7 minutes to melt the cheese.
- Garnish with fresh cilantro and avocado, then enjoy!