Chicken à la King originated in England and is like a casserole and a stew. It’s prepared with diced chicken in a creamy sauce with vegetables, such as carrots, green beans, and mushrooms, and served over rice or biscuits. Don’t let the fancy name or the “antique” nature of the dish fool you – it’s fairly simple to prepare, especially if you use our short cuts. This is a great recipe for busy folks who are looking for a hearty meal to feed a hungry crowd.
Chicken à la king can be made on the stove top, but for those of you who prefer the “set-it-and-forget-it” method – you know that’s our favorite way to make dinner! – this is right up your alley. We love a meal that is easy to make, easy on the wallet, and satisfying to the appetite. And mmm-mmm-mmm, is this one a keeper; the finished product comes out of the slow cooker so rich and creamy. Don’t forget to add biscuits or some crusty bread on the side – you’ll need something to help you scrape the sides of the bowl!
Need more chicken recipes? Try my Chicken Souvlaki it’s amazing!
3 chicken breast
1 (26 oz) bag frozen mixed vegetables
( corn, carrots, peas, green beans)
1 yellow onion, diced
1 cup chicken broth
1 (10 oz.) can cream of chicken soup
Salt and pepper, to taste
1. Use cooking spray to coat slow cooker.
2. Place chicken breasts in the bottom of slow cooker, then top with onion and add bag of mixed vegetables.
3. Stir together chicken broth and cream of chicken soup in a bowl, then pour mixture over chicken and veggies. For a slightly thinner consistency, add more chicken broth.
4. Cover slow cooker and cook on HIGH for 3-4 hours. Prior to serving, remove chicken and dice or shred, then return to slow cooker; season with salt and pepper (to taste) and give a final stir.
5. Serve warm with biscuits or a side of crusty bread.