Fish tacos with grilled Alaskan cod are topped with a delicious citrus carrot slaw. They’re light, bright, sweet, tangy and perfect for spring and summer. You’ll definitely go back for seconds! This fish taco recipe is easy to make, super flavorful and will be the fan favorite at your next Taco Tuesday party.
AN EASY FISH TACO RECIPE
I’m excited to introduce you to a healthy fish taco recipe that’ll knock your socks off. Not only is it easy to make, but it’s literally bursting with flavor, thanks to the juicy citrus, lime juice and cilantro.
Many fish taco recipes use battered and fried fish (and usually a low quality farmed tilapia). But grilled cod fresh from Alaska makes all the difference. Grilling, rather than battering the fish allows the fish to really shine (which is what you want in a fish taco recipe) and highlights the bold flavors of the slaw.
So what’s in the citrus carrot slaw? Two types of oranges (navel and cara cara), carrots, green cabbage, cilantro and some lime juice. And let me warn you, it’s highly addictive. I had a little leftover after making these tacos, so literally just scooped it up and ate it plain for a snack…it’s that good.
HOW TO MAKE FISH TACOS
There’s really two parts to making this fish taco recipe – grilling the fish and making the slaw. And then it’s just assembling everything together!
- Grill the Fish: Heat a grill on medium high heat and grill the fish for a couple of minutes each side, drizzling with fresh lime juice as its grilling. After a few minutes on each side, your fish should be cooked through. Remember, you don’t want to overcook fish or else it ends up dry and rubbery.
- Make the Slaw: Stir together the oranges, carrots, green cabbage, cilantro and lime juice in a mixing bowl.
Once your fish is grilled and your slaw is made it’s as simple as piling it onto a tortilla. I’m using my favorite Cassava Flour Tortillas, but you could use any type of tortilla. And that’s it! An easy, quick, healthy and tasty fish taco recipe with a Baja and SoCal vibe.
- 3 filets, cod (or other fish)
- 1 lime
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- salt and pepper, to taste
- CITRUS CARROT SLAW
- 2 navel oranges, peeled and diced
- 2 cara cara oranges, peeled and diced
- 1 large carrot, julienne peeled
- 1 cup green cabbage, thinly sliced
- 2 tbsp fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1 lime, juiced
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 6 tortillas, (I use my Cassava Flour Tortillas, but you can use any)
- avocado and limes, for garnish
1. Mix all of the citrus slaw ingredients together in a bowl and set aside.
2. Heat a grill (or grill pan) on medium-high heat and grill the fish for 2-3 minutes on one side. Squeeze the lime over the fish and season with garlic, salt and pepper. Flip the fish and grill for another 2-3 minutes. The fish will likely break apart and that’s okay.
3. Assemble the fish tacos by placing small pieces of fish in each taco, then top with the slaw. Garnish with avocado and lime slices.
If you don’t have an outdoor grill, you can use a grill pan or reversible grill/griddle pan and make these in your kitchen. Super easy!
CALORIES: 243kcal, CARBOHYDRATES: 31g, PROTEIN: 24g, FAT: 3g, SATURATED FAT: 1g, CHOLESTEROL: 50mg, SODIUM: 279mg, POTASSIUM: 755mg, FIBER: 4g, SUGAR: 11g, VITAMIN A: 1932iu, VITAMIN C: 62mg, CALCIUM: 85mg, IRON: 1mg