Chicken and whipped feta sandwiches are the ideal addition to any springtime picnic basket.
The secret to incredibly flavorful chicken cutlets is a quick marinade in feta brine in advance of grilling. Food & Wine’s Justin Chapple then whips the feta cheese with lemon juice and olive oil to use as a spread for the excellent sandwiches here.
Active: 30 mins Total: 1 hr Yield: 4
1/2 pound feta, crumbled, plus 3/4 cup of the brine
1 tablespoon Louisiana-style hot sauce, preferably Tabasco
Four 4-ounce chicken cutlets
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
1/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for brushing
Four 6-inch ciabatta rolls, split and toasted
Arugula (not baby), sliced cucumber, red onion and seeded piquillo peppers, for serving
In a large resealable plastic bag, mix the feta brine and hot sauce. Add the chicken cutlets, seal the bag and turn to coat. Refrigerate for 30 minutes.
Meanwhile, in a food processor, pulse the feta cheese and lemon juice. Slowly blend in the 1/3 cup of oil until smooth. Season with salt and pepper.
Preheat a grill pan. Remove the chicken from the brine and pat dry; discard the brine. Brush with oil and season with salt and pepper. Grill the cutlets over moderately high heat, turning once, until cooked through, about 5 minutes total.
Spread the rolls with some of the feta. Top with the chicken, arugula, cucumber, onion and peppers and serve.
Feta-Brined Chicken Sandwiches
- 1/2 pound feta, crumbled, plus 3/4 cup of the brine
- 1 tablespoon Louisiana-style hot sauce, preferably Tabasco
- Four 4-ounce chicken cutlets
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for brushing
- Kosher salt
- Four 6-inch ciabatta rolls, split and toasted
- Arugula (not baby), sliced cucumber, red onion and seeded piquillo peppers, for serving