I have a large mirror hanging above an antique chest in my foyer, I wanted to put something on the mirror other than a wreath. I created this “Joy” wall hanging using 6″ wood letters from the craft store, extra ornaments, ribbons, and a wire coat hanger.
It’s easy and inexpensive to make. I spray painted the letters in red, but you can use any color you like, in fact you can spell any word you want. I used the word “Joy” because it was only 3 letters and conveyed an appropriate message for the season. I wanted the letters to have a snow covered look so I rolled them in epsom salt.
The letters are attached to a wire coat hanger which I covered with a big bow. I added the dangling dove ornament by tying it to the hanger under the bow. The top of the hanger is bent backwards to form a hook which we hooked on to the back of the mirror frame.
Here are my Step-by-Step directions for making your own wall hanging.
Wood letters to spell out word or words you want. I used small 6″ letters to spell JOY and 12″ Letter for a Monogram Wall hanging
Spray paint in Red – our whatever color you want
Mod Podge or Elmer’s white glue
Flat ornaments (optional)
Glue gun & sticks
1/8″ – 1/4″ wide Ribbon for attaching letters to hanger
Large Bow to hide hanger
- In a well ventilated area, I do this outdoors, place wood letters on a protected surface – cover table, counter with newspaper or drop cloth to protect surface from paint
- Spray paint front and sides of letters evenly. You can spray a second coat if you want, just let it dry between coats.
- When front side is dry, turn over and spray paint the backside and let dry for at least 24 hours.
- Apply a thin coat of Mod Podge to the front of the painted letter.
- Cover letter in Epsom Salt. Let Dry.
- Repeat Steps 4 & 5 until you have the letter covered as thickly as you like. Just be sure to dry between coats.
- If you are decorating the letters with flat ornaments stick them on with hot glue
- Tie one end of thin ribbon to letter and the other end to the wire hanger. Space them out evenly along the hanger.
- Hide the hanger and tied ends of ribbon with a very large bow.