Have seen the huge line that wraps around the block where Popeye’s Fried Chicken places are located? They’re insane! My grandson, a Popeye’s Fried Chicken fan has spent almost 2 hours in that line!
Ok, it was really bad last year when the fried chicken chain first rolled out their Chicken Sandwich, but the lines haven’t really gotten that much shorter. The sandwich made its debut back in August 2019 when stores were actually running out of product. Here we are over a year later and the lines to buy them are still pretty long. At least long enough where I absolutely refuse to wait in them. Although I must admit the sandwiches are very tasty. Yes, I’ve gotten my grandson to pick one up for me since he was in line anyway.
But here’s an alternative to those ridiculously long lines, make it at home! It’s really not that hard, it is after all just fried chicken thighs. The secret’s in the batter! (Did I mention that I actually managed a Popeye’s fried chicken place back in the late 90’s? So I pretty much know some of their secrets.)
I’ve made these Copy Cat Popeye’s Chicken Sandwiches and they are very good. My grandson, the Popeye’s fan says they’re just as good! So here’s how you make it! I’m also including a Brioche Hamburger Bun recipe, it’s what I use for my sandwiches and even our homemade burgers like the Butter Burger! You can use store bought buns if you don’t want to make the Brioche Buns, but you really should consider making some, they’re super good!
Copy Cat Popeye's Chicken Sandwich
- 6 Boneless Skinless Chicken Thighs
- 2 cups Buttermilk
- 2 tsp Sea Salt
- 2 tsp Garlic Powder
- 1 tbsp Cayenne Pepper
- 3 cups Flour
- 3 tsp Salt
- 2 tsp Garlic Powder
- 2 tsp Smoked Paprika
- 1 tsp Black Pepper
- 1 tsp Cayenne Pepper (Optional if you want it spicy)
- Oil for frying
- Brioche Buns (recipe below) or store bought buns
- Dill Pickle Chips
- Mix all the ingredients of the batter and place in zip lock bag.
- Add chicken pieces and shake to coat evenly.
- Marinate in refrigerator at least 4 hours or overnight.
- Mix all the ingredients for the coating in a shallow pan.
- Place about 2-3" of oil in a pan.
- Heat oil.
- Take a piece of chicken out of the batter and allow excess to drip off.
- Dredge in coating mix so that all sides are coated in the flour mixture.
- Drop in hot oil. Cook about 8-10 minutes or until chicken is fully cooked. You can flip it over so both sides cook evenly.
- Drain on paper towel.
- Spread buns with mayo, place lettuce and chicken on bottom bun, top with pickles.
- Serve hot.
Brioche Hamburger Buns
- baker's or caster
- all purpose
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Combine the warm water, warm milk, yeast and sugar in the bowl of a stand mixer. Stir gently to combine. Let stand for 5 minutes.
- Add the salt and egg to the bowl. Use the paddle attachment to combine on low speed.
- Add both flours and mix on low speed until combined, then mix in the butter pieces.
- Switch to the dough hook and knead for 8 minutes. The dough will be very soft and slightly sticky.
- Transfer the dough to a floured work surface and knead a few times with your hands to form it into a ball. Cut the dough into 8 pieces. Shape each piece into a round ball and place on the prepared baking sheet.
- Loosely cover the dough balls with a clean kitchen towel and let rest for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Combine 1 egg and 1 Tbs. Milk in a small bowl (egg wash).
- Brush on tops of rolls.
- Bake 15 minutes or until golden brown.
- Cool on racks.
- Cut horizontally to make burger buns.