Bunnies are the simple (and cute) mascot for Spring, and they inspire these fun fruit bags. They’re made from paper bags and will instantly liven up lunch time fruits and veggies. Place a basket out at brunch and your guests will be instantly drawn to the tied ears, colorful nose and sweet peak of fruit inside.
To make the bunny paper bags you’ll need; paper bags (look for fun paper bag designs at your local craft store), a roll of colorful tape, ribbon to tie off the ears, and fruit to place inside.
To make the bunny fruit bags, cut the edges off your paper bag so that you are left with two open sides. The bag should be cut to be a little narrower than your fruit. Cut the open end of the bag into the shape of rabbit ears, the ears should meet around a third of the way down the bag.
Sit the apple inside the paper bag and gather at the top, being careful not to tear the paper. Fix the gathered bag in place with some paper ribbon, knot the ribbon twice and fan out the ends into a bow. Cut a small triangle of pink washi tape and add it to the front to make a cute bunny nose.
Use different patterns and colours to create a fruity Easter display — you could also use any type of round fruit or vegetable to fill these paper bunny bags. They look sweet in a bowl as a grab and go snack, and would make a lovely easter surprise inside a lunch box.
Tell a Fairy Tale Day is on February 26. The unofficial holiday encourages celebrators to read, tell, and listen to fairy tales from around the world.
Fairy tales are a genre of literature that features fantastical and magical characters. Usually in the form of short stories with fairies, elves, trolls, and witches as central characters, fairy tales are set in a magical world with events that take place “once upon a time.”
A form of folk tales, fairy tales have a strong oral and written tradition all around the world – with cultures adopting whole or parts of tales from other cultures.
Before the 17th century, fairy tales often had themes unsuitable for children and were written mostly for adults.
Today, fairy tales are considered to be a genre of children’s literature and the term fairy tale is used to refer to happy events and happenings, such as a fairy tale romance or a fairy tale ending.
The holiday is also known as National Tell a Fairy Tale Day in the United States.
How to Celebrate?
- Set your imagination free on this very fantastical holiday and re-read all your favorite fairy tales.
- If you have children in your lives, why not introduce them to some of the world’s most famous fairy tales?
- Bring out your inner writer and pen down a fairy tale. Who knows, you could be the next Hans Christian Andersen!
- Watch movies based on fairy tales.
- Host a fairy tale party. Instruct your guests to come as their favorite fairy tale character, decorate the venue as if you were in an enchanted land of fairy tales and serve foods from all your favorite fairy tale stories. Some ideas include caramel apples (Snow White), pea salad (The Princess and the Pea), pumpkin soup (Cinderella) and porridge or rice pudding (Goldilocks and the Three Bears).
Did You Know…
… that at least 500 versions of Cinderella have been found around the world?
Having children is one of the best experiences you can have in life, although they aren’t always easy. Part of looking after your children and helping them grow up is to look after their health, even if they don’t want to themselves. Things like going to the dentist, drinking enough water, getting enough sleep, doing their homework or getting enough exercise is all important. These are all things that you need to consider when helping your children live a healthy lifestyle. Below are four tips for helping your children be healthy:
Eating Their Five a Day
One thing that every child should do is eat five-piece of fruit or veg a day. Now, this can be tricky sometimes as a lot of children don’t like vegetables and will fight to not eat them. One trick that is useful is to put the vegetables into a sauce so that they don’t realise they are eating them. For example, peas in a spaghetti bolognese, peppers in a curry, or onions and tomatoes in a fajita. Most of the time they won’t realise they are eating the vegetables as the dish itself has lovely flavors to it.
Do your children exercise enough? A lot of children are happy to run around a park and have fun, but others are more introverted and want to stay in. If it’s a case that your children don’t like to exercise as much, then it’s time to get them out and exercising without them realising they are doing it. Why not get a trampoline and jump on it together or go on family walks together and get their step count up? You can make it a competition and see who can do the most steps! They will be exercising in no time without even knowing they are doing so.
Teeth are extremely important to both adults and children which is why it’s important you take your children to the dentist when they need an appointment. If they don’t want to go because they might be scared then tell them it’s ok and that you go to the dentist as well. If you need an appointment you could always visit a recommended cosmetic dentist and let your children come with you to see that it’s ok and nothing to be afraid of.
Getting Them To Sleep
Bedtime can be a pain sometimes, especially if they don’t want to go to sleep. Depending on their age they should be aiming for a set amount of sleep, but if they are struggling then there are many ways you can help them. You can set up a bedtime routine, relax before bedtime, check the noise or light within the room and make sure they feel safe when sleeping.
Your children’s health is important and you’ll find many tips for helping them online. Although they can be hard work sometimes, there are so many great memories that you will share with them.
Students will express ideas about Mexico using metal tooling techniques and the elements of art and principles of design.
By Margaret Morales [Margaret is an Artist/Teacher from McAdory Elementary School in Alabama, who has been teaching art in public schools for 25 years.]
WHAT YOU NEED:
- 36 gauge aluminum-tooling foil (It comes in 12″ X 10′ rolls, which equals 90, 4″ X 4″ pieces.) or use disposable pie pans. Note: This type of foil can be cut on a paper cutter and also a letter cutter!)
- Wooden clay tools or the ends of wooden paintbrushes
- 4″ X 4″ Paper for rough draft
- Permanent markers
- A soft, giving work surface (Ex. Several layers of paper or a computer mouse pad)=
WHAT YOU DO:
Beginning of lesson:
Say, “Today we will learn about a Mexican folk art called metal tooling.” Show a sample. Show students some examples of metal tooling if you have any, or look on the Internet: http://www.directfrommexico.com.
Have students locate Mexico on a map. Ask them, “What are some types of metal?” Examples would be gold, silver, copper, and aluminum.
Ask, “Why are some metals more expensive than others?” Discuss natural resources and why we should recycle because there is a limited supply of it on our planet.
Demonstrate in front of small groups how to emboss using the tool on a giving surface.
Safety Issue: Caution the students to be careful handling the metal because it is sharp and could cut them. Tape may be placed around the edges to make it safer to handle.
Discuss some potential images such as chili peppers, maracas, birds, sunshines, lizards, and sombreros… Give the students a small piece of paper and a pencil to do their rough draft.
Some things to remember for success are:
- The design needs to be bold and simple thinking about the elements of art and principles of design.
- Trace the foil on your rough draft paper so you can practice on the same size paper.
- Make sure a stack of paper or a magazine is under your foil when tooling.
- Either trace the design by putting it on top of the foil or draw it free hand with your wooden tool.
- Emboss by rubbing larger areas to make it pushed out on the other side.
- Turn it over and emboss using the other side, also.
- Color the metal by using permanent markers.
- Finish by putting these together as a group project with beads and wire. They can also be finished individually as a small wall hanging.
Mexican Folk Art
One of my grandsons is all bout sealife lately. He will gladly give you facts about all types of sea creatures, some are really amazing! I special love his Vampire Squid facts! Yes there really are creatures called Vampire Squids! (I had to Google that one! And he was spot on!)
So of course for him I had to make an Under the Sea Blanket. He loved it! For this blanked I used yarn in blue, white, and turquoise to look like the ocean. I made the blanket using my modified farmhouse squares and made crocheted sea creature appliqués which I sewed on to the squares. I stitched the squares together and added 3 rows of single crochet borders.
I used the free ocean and sea creature appliqué patterns from Jenny and Teddy. Click here for the link to those patterns!
But before you make the critters you’ll need squares. You can use a basic granny square pattern or you can try my Modified Farmhouse Squares. I love these squares! It uses Puff Stitches in the center and on the corners. It gives the blanket an added dimension! Here’s the pattern:
PS- *yo, insert hook in st, yo, pull up* repeat ** 3 times, you will have9 loops on hook, yo, pull thru all 9 loops, ch 1 to close puff
You do not want short tight puffs. Keep loops tall and loose. After every pull up of yarn gently pull hook up this helps keep loops loose and easier to pull last yo thru all 9 loops.
Start with a Magic circle
RD 1- *2 PS, ch* repeat ** 3 times, slst into top of first PS
RD 2- ch 2 (counts as 1 DC), DC in next 2 st, *work corner into ch 1 sp in rd 1 (PS,CH 2,PS), DC in next 3 st (top of PS, between PS, top of PS of RD 1)* repeat 3 times, slst into top of ch 2 in beginning.
RD 3- ch 2, DC in next 4 sts, *work corner in ch 2 sp, DC in next 6 sts starting at top of PS and ending at top of PS in previous rd.* repeat ** 3 times, DC in next st (top of PS of previous row), slst into top of ch 2 in beginning
RD 4 – ch 2, DC in next 6 sts, *work corner into ch 2 sp, DC in next 9 st* repeat ** 3 times, DC in last 2 sts, slst into top of ch 2 at beginning
RD 5- ch 2, DC in next 8 sts, *work corner into ch 2 sp, DC in next 12 sts* repeat** 3 times, DC in last 3 st, slst into top of ch 2 at beginning
RD 6- ch 2, DC in next 10 sts, * work corner into ch 2 sp, DC in next 15 sts* repeat ** 3 times, DC in last 4 sts, slst into top of ch2 at beginning
Fasten off weave in ends
People have been decorating walls since ancient times. Previously, rock paintings were used for this, after which amulets and various decorations were hung on the walls. Today, there are several dozen variations of the beautiful wall decoration in a house or apartment.
You can either buy decorative elements or make them yourself. To do this, you will need improvised tools or tools and materials that can be found in any needlework store. As a result, you get a design that will make your interior truly unique. Today we will talk about how to decorate the wall in the room with our own hands.
Wall decor – where to start?
To invent and create a diy wall decor is as simple as possible. There are many techniques, materials and products that can turn a boring and blank wall into a real work of art. This approach to interior decoration has many advantages:
- You get a unique room design. Even if you repeat the technique seen in the picture, you will add a little personality to the decor. So there are no two identical results.
- Saving the family budget. Walling can be a very expensive process. However, if you take up the creation of decorative elements, the result will be more budgetary.
- Flight of fancy. Creativity is a great opportunity to relax a bit and spend time with your family. You can attract loved ones – a joint pastime will give a lot of pleasant emotions.
Where to start decorating the walls of the apartment with your own hands?
- Choose the place on the wall that you want to decorate. Remember that it will become the accent of the room. So in the bedroom it is better to decorate the wall above the bed, and in the living room – above the sofa.
- Choose a technique and material. Everything will depend on your skills and desire to try something new. If you are afraid to experiment or do not have time for complex work, you can decorate with ready-made objects (which ones – we will tell later).
- Buy everything you need so that you don’t get distracted by missing parts or tools in the process. Think about how the decor will be fixed to the wall – glue, nails, stationery buttons, screws, etc.
What materials are used for wall decor?
Today there are many options for decorating a wall. Some of them can be implemented using materials that are sold in any store. Some require more thorough preparation. Most often, as a material for decor are used:
DIY paper wall decor includes many different compositions. The basis can be used: old newspapers, the original corrugation made of paper, foil, sheets with the effect of yellowed paper (can be done by dipping a white sheet in tea or coffee). In addition, bright napkins, magazines, postcards are also used today.
READ New Apartment Renovation Trends 2021
What can be created with paper?
- Garland . To create it, you will need threads (fishing line, twine or ordinary thread), pencil, paper, scissors. For fixing, you can use hot glue or a stapler. Just cut out the necessary shapes from paper according to the template and put them together on a thread. After hang the garland on the wall.
- Volumetric wall decor . You can create beautiful flowers, butterflies and other compositions from paper. This decor will look original and non-standard. Especially if you make several shapes of different sizes and place them with a collage.
A beautiful set or dishes brought from travel should not gather dust somewhere in cabinets. That is why do-it-yourself wall decor often includes ceramic and glass jewelry. Most often, this technique is used in the kitchen. However, today you can decorate dishes from plates in the living room or hallway .
Multi-colored ceramic products create an original composition and perfectly complement the interior in the style of Provence , country.
They allow you to visually increase the area of the room and even in the darkest spaces add light and a sense of openness. Today, wall mirrors are sold not only in standard forms. You can also find original products or order an individual model in the workshop.
You can hang one large mirror, you can – several different mirrors of different shapes and sizes.
Round, rectangular, oval, in the form of a drop, heart or asterisk – a beautiful mirror in the frame will be a great addition to the interior.
Fabric and Thread
In each house you can find several multi-colored threads and various pieces of fabric left over from old clothes, tablecloths, and bedding. The most common techniques for decorating a wall in a room with your own hands are:
- String art . To create such panels you will need a board that will serve as the basis, a lot of small nails, threads, scissors, a hammer, a pencil. Draw on the base with a pencil. Come up with it yourself or search the Internet. Contour the pattern with nails. Make sure they enter the board at the same depth. Between the nails, wind the threads, creating an original pattern.
- Macrame . If you like to knit, try decorating the wall with macrame. However, this technique is suitable for those who have never picked up knitting needles. Find a pattern for creating a panel you like, stock up with threads (silk, woolen) and a base, which a branch or stick may well be.
- Panel made of fabric . You have several pieces of beautiful fabric, you can place them in a frame and hang them on the wall. Use lace, buttons or multi-colored beads for decoration.
This is a more complex option, which is suitable for all lovers to experiment with room decor. Ideas for painting walls can be found on the Internet. Think in advance of the style and the pattern or drawing itself. Prepare a stencil so that you can quickly draw a suitable image on it.
READ 5 General Interior Decoration Trends For 2021
As a stencil, you can use, for example, adhesive tape. A more professional option is ready-made stencils on self-adhesive paper.
Just create the contours of the image and paint. After it dries, remove the adhesive tape or self-adhesive, and apply varnish (glossy or matte).
Tip: A simpler way to create art on the wall are special stickers. They come in a variety of sizes and are pretty easy to peck. The main thing is to carefully level the surface and carefully put the sticker on the wall.
Photos and paintings
When decorating walls with their own hands, beautiful paintings and posters are often used. You can print or draw them yourself, or you can buy ready-made ones at the store. The main thing is to choose the style of posters and paintings based on the design of the room. A special addition to this decoration are beautiful frames. They can be carved, coated with gold or silver paint, with decorative inserts.
Decorating a wall with photographs is one of the most common ways of decorating surfaces. This will not only create a unique room design. Photos, preserving the positive moments from the past, will cause a lot of warm and pleasant memories every time you look at them.
Designing a wall with photographs can be either with a single photo (large size) or creating a huge collage of several photos. Moreover, it is not necessary to insert photos into frames. You can print them and fasten them on a thread by hanging a garland on the wall.
Wall decor options in different rooms
In general, we have listed quite universal ways of decorating walls in an apartment. However, there are requirements and recommendations for each individual room. Let’s see what decorative elements can be used for a bedroom, kitchen, living room or nursery.
How to decorate the walls in the kitchen?
The spacious kitchen is the perfect place for a family dinner. And during cooking we spend a lot of time in this room. Therefore, wall decor is an important aspect of creating the interior of the kitchen .
The most universal option is beautiful paintings with landscapes or still lifes (for example, delicious dishes, drinks or fruits).
You can also create a beautiful panel yourself using improvised materials (branches, dried flowers and leaves, dried fruits, coffee beans, pasta, cereals).
And of course, in the kitchen, wall decoration with various ceramics and other utensils will be most relevant. Trays, plates, mugs – all this will give a warm and cozy atmosphere and enliven the interior of the space.
Important! In the process of cooking in the kitchen, the temperature often rises or humidity increases. Therefore, it is important that wall decoration materials withstand such tests.
Bedroom Wall Decor Options
The bedroom is a unique room where we relax, relax and gain strength for further achievements. It is important to consider that this room is primarily aimed at relaxation. Here, a calm and peaceful atmosphere should reign, created by pastel colors (beige, milky, peach, blue, pink, mint), as well as white.
Wall decor in the bedroom consists mainly of beautiful paintings, posters, frames with photos. All this should add coziness and warm atmosphere.
READ New Modern Apartment Interior Design Trends 2021
Patchwork and various collages also look great on the wall.
Wall decoration in the living room
The living room is the heart of any home. It is here that we meet guests and gather together as a big friendly family for gatherings, board games or watching our favorite movie. Therefore, in this room, decor has an important role.
In no case should you leave the walls in the living room completely empty. You can decorate them with any materials and techniques at your discretion. First of all, it is important to build on the style of the interior. For classics, it can be wall moldings, fabric upholstery, mirrors in the frame.
For a living room in a modern style, wall decor implies experiments with materials, textures. You can combine several different styles, use combinations and non-standard variations of crafts.
Embroidery on the walls is ideal for room decor in Provence style. You can also decorate the living room with beautiful plates brought from travel, wooden or antique items.
Wall decor in the nursery
In the children’s room as a wall decor, bright and colorful paintings depicting animals will look great. It is important here to build on the interests and hobbies of your child. Pictures with planets will be the best solution for a child who is fond of space.
If your child has a favorite cartoon character, you can safely use it for inspiration when decorating a room.
True, it should be remembered that the decoration of the walls of the nursery for preschoolers, primary school children and adolescents will differ significantly. The latter tend more towards minimalism and conciseness.
Important! All materials for decorating the walls in the children’s room should be as safe as possible and securely attached to the wall.
How to choose a method of wall decoration?
Of course, when choosing materials for decorating the walls in a room, it is first and foremost important to build on your personal preferences and wishes. But you should also pay attention to:
- Room style . Each interior design requires careful planning and thought out of decorative elements. So, for example, a flower panel will be completely irrelevant for a high-tech style, and paper garlands will be in a room in a loft style . The best option is graphics. The main thing is to choose a beautiful and suitable pattern.
- Security . It is especially important that the materials do not harm your health. So, for coloring it is worth taking a water-based paint.
- Resistance to moisture , high temperatures. This is especially true for wall decoration in the kitchen or in the bathroom. You should choose materials that would not be afraid of contact with moisture.
DIY wall decor is a real fantasy flight, which will allow you to get a unique interior that reflects your character and mood. Even from the most simple and improvised materials, you can create real masterpieces. A bit of creativity and time – and your walls will become a bright highlight of the room.