Breakfast tacos are a cinch with this Texan-developed recipe that’s easy to vegetarianize. For more recipes featuring Southwestern inspirations with an Austin flare, visit savvynana.com
Total Time:35 mins
Hands-on Time:15 mins
- FOR THE BACON AND EGS:
8 slices bacon (optional)
1/4 teaspoon sea salt or pink Himalayan salt
1/8 teaspoon Simply Organic Black Pepper
1 dash Worcestershire sauce
1 teaspoon olive oil
FOR THE REFRIED BLACK BEANS:
1 tablespoon olive oil
3 cloves garlic, minced
2 cans (15 ounces each) organic black beans, drained and rinsed
1/4 teaspoon Simply Organic Chipotle Powder
1/4 teaspoon Simply Organic Cumin
1/4 teaspoon Simply Organic Paprika
1/4 teaspoon Simply Organic All-Season Salt
1 can (about 2 cups) low-sodium chicken broth
1 cup fresh baby spinach, sautéed
1 cup crumbled queso fresco or shredded Mexican-blend cheese
1 cup salsa
To Make the Bacon and Eggs:
- If using bacon, preheat oven to 380 degrees and line a baking sheet with foil. On baking sheet, evenly spread bacon. Bake for about 15 minutes, then drain grease and pat bacon with a paper towel.
- In a bowl, combine eggs, salt, pepper and Worcestershire sauce. Stir until well blended.
- In a large skillet over medium-low heat, heat olive oil. Add egg mixture and scramble for about 3 minutes. Transfer to a plate and cover with foil.
To Make the Refried Black Beans:
- In a medium-sized saucepan over medium heat, heat olive oil. Add garlic and sauté for about 2 minutes.
- Add beans, chipotle powder, cumin, paprika and salt. Cook, stirring, for about 2 minutes.
- Add broth and let simmer for about 10 minutes. Transfer mixture to a blender and puree until smooth.
- Return mixture to saucepan and cook, stirring, for about 2 more minutes.
- Warm tortillas individually, then divide bacon (if using), eggs, beans, spinach, cheese and salsa evenly among them. Alternatively, arrange all ingredients taco-bar style and let people make their own tacos!