`This time of year with the holidays looming ahead I’m always looking for recipes to make my life easier. It’s a busy time for many of us and we still have to make time to prepare family meals on top of all the holiday preparations. So I look for recipes that are quick and simple to make, specially those where I can make and freeze some of the ingredients ahead of time.
Recently I remembered a childhood favorite, this “Torta” my grandmother made for me when I visited her. It’s been a very long time since I made this, I used to make an eggplant version “Torta Talong” to bring to my aunt at her nursing home, it was her favorite. But I’m allergic to eggplants so that wasn’t an option for me.
I did make this Torta for my family the other night and they loved it! I spruced it up by adding a Sriracha Ketchup Dipping Sauce and it was yummy. After I made it I remembered that I had this torta recently, in Barcelona! Over there instead of serving it as a meal they served is at the Tapas Bar, it was delicious with wine!
I made enough filling to freeze some for later use. Just thaw it out before you add the eggs and fry.
This recipe will make 3-4 6″ tortas.
What you may ask is a “Torta”? It’s really just an omelette, but you don’t fold it over.
Here’s my recipe, you can serve it as a meal or sliced in pie shaped wedges as an appetizer. I hope it makes a yummy addition to your table this season.
1 lb. ground beef
1 Small onion diced
1 Tbsp.. minced garlic
2 Small potatoes cooked & diced
1 Pinch each Salt & pepper to taste
2 Tbsp. Cooking oil
1/2 cup ketchup
1 Tbsp. sriracha sauce (if you don’t have sriracha you can use tobasco or any other hot sauce)
1. Cook potatoes in microwave cooking bag. I use something like the one in the picture that I got from a craft fair. You can order one from Amazon. (affiliate link)
If you don’t have a bag pierce washed potatoes with a fork on several sides, place on a microwave safe container and microwave for 9 minutes on high.
Peel and dice cooked potatoes and set aside for now.
2. Add a little oil to your frying pan and saute onions until they start to turn translucent.
3. Add garlic and stir until onions and garlic are mostly cooked, about 1 minute.
4. Add ground beef and cook until done. Stir constantly to avoid burning and break up meat as it cooks. You want it to be crumbly.
5. Add Potatoes and season with salt & pepper.
6. Remove from heat and drain excess oil. You can now freeze some of this mixture in ziplock bags for future use.
1. Heat about 1 tsp. oil in 6″ frying pan.
2. Place a layer of meat mixture in pan (defrost first if frozen).
3. Beat 2 eggs and pour over meat mixture. Spread out eggs so it covers the whole pan.
4. Cook over medium low heat until the egg starts to dry up.
5. Using 2 spatulas work them under the egg mixture and gently flip it over.
6. Cook another 1-2 minutes and slide into serving dish.
Combine ketchup with sriracha sauce and stir until well mixed.