Everyone loves brownies, it’s the ultimate comfort food, rich, chewy, and chocolaty, it triggers all your happy spots.
I have made brownies from box mixes and from scratch, my favorite ones are those that I make using the recipe I found in a mystery novel I read. I call them Triple Chocolate Brownies, but in the book they’re called Scout’s Brownies.
I’d like to share the recipe I found in Diane Mott Davidson’s book “Dying for Chocolate”. I read this book years ago and have been making these amazing brownies since. They really are “to die for”. They’ve become a family favorite.
If possible try to use the same brands the recipe calls for.
1 cup unsalted butter
3 ½ oz. Valrhona or best quality unsweetened chocolate squares
3 tbs. Valrhona or European style cocoa powder
1 ½ cups all-purpose flour
½ tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. salt
2 cups sugar
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1 cup Ghirardelli chocolate chip morsels
- Preheat oven 350 degrees
- Melt butter and unsweetened chocolate squares in a double boiler; set aside to cool
- Sift together cocoa, flour, baking powder, and salt
- Beat eggs until creamy
- Beating constantly slowly add sugar
- Add vanilla and cooled chocolate mixture
- Stir in dry ingredients until just combined
- Spread batter into buttered 9”x13” baking pan
- Sprinkle chocolate chips over surface
- Bake 30-35 mins. or until center is set
Cool completely before cutting into 32 brownies. Serve with a glass of ice cold milk for an awesome treat.