Recently I had a sweet craving, I wanted something like a brownie without out too much chocolate.
I decided I’d try my hand at baking blondies. I’d never done this before and I didn’t have a recipe, but I figured it can’t be too difficult to come up with my own recipe, after all a blondie is just like a brownie without the cocoa powder, right?
I tweaked my favorite brownie recipe and ended up with these delicious Chocolate Chip Blondies.
They are so good I had to hide them from my cousin and the grandsons so that there’d be some for my son and his wife to try. I even found my husband, a self proclaimed chocolate hater (weird I know, who doesn’t like chocolate? unheard of in my world!), standing at the kitchen counter munching on these yummy squares. He managed to eat half the plate, so much for hating chocolate!
Here’s the recipe!
1 cup unsalted butter
1 cup Ghirardelli White Chocolate Chips
1 1/2 cups flour
1/2 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. salt
2 cups sugar
1 tsp. pure vanilla extract
1 cup Ghirardelli or Guittard Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips
1. Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees and lightly spray 9 x 13 baking pan with cooking spray.
2. Place butter and white chocolate chips in a microwave bowl and melt in the microwave for 2 minutes. Remove and stir to melt the chips. If chips aren’t fully melted return to the microwave for 30 seconds and stir again. Continue to microwave in 30 seconds intervals until fully melted. Check and stir the mixture every 30 seconds to keep the chips from burning and the butter from separating.
If the chips start turning brown and have a “funny” smell they are starting to burn, this is a waste because there’s nothing you can do to fix it; so be careful to not let it get to this stage!
3. Set butter mixture aside to cool.
4. Sift together flour, baking powder, and salt.
5. In another bowl beat eggs and sugar until creamy.
6. Stir in vanilla extract and butter mixture.
7. Stir in dry ingredients until just combined.
8. Pour into prepared baking pan and bake for 30 minutes or until center is set and tester comes out clean.
9. Remove from oven and cool before cutting into squares.