I was in Petco just before Christmas looking for treats for my Siberian Husky, she loves treats! I was shocked at how expensive dog treats have gotten. I found a small bag of “all natural” sweet potato treats priced at $12.99, my dog loves sweet potatoes, but I wasn’t ready to fork over 13 bucks for a few pieces of dehydrated sweet potato when I could buy a whole bag of sweet potato for about $5. I decided I could make my own dog chews so I got a bag of sweet potato from Walmart and headed home to make some.
It’s super easy to make. The bag contained 6 fairly large sweet potatoes so I got a lot of chews for $5, I already had the other ingredients in my pantry. I made enough chews to give out to our friends who own dogs.
You can freeze these treats, they last about 3-4 months. My dog, Cannoli, loves them even frozen!
6 large sweet potatoes
1/2 cup olive oil
1 tsp. ground cinnamon
1. Scrub and dry sweet potatoes.
2. Slice into 1/2 thick slices. This is the hardest part! I find cutting off a slice from one side then placing the cut side down makes slicing the potatoes easier.
3. Place slices on parchment covered baking sheet.
4. Mix cinnamon in olive oil.
5. Brush both sides of potato slices with oil.
6. Bake in 275 degree oven for 2-3 hours.
7. Remove from oven and cool.
8. Store in air tight containers in the fridge. For longer storage freeze in freezer safe bags for up to 4 months.