Ginger Snaps are a family favorite. These old fashioned Ginger Snaps are nothing like the boxed cookies you’ll find in many stores during the holidays. Those boxed cookies are crunchy and taste pretty much like store bought gingerbread.
If you’ve never tried homemade old fashioned ginger snaps, then you’ve never truly had ginger snaps. These home made cookies sparkle with a dusting of sugar, they’re lightly crisp on the outside and slightly chewy in the center. And they’re oh so delicious!
My Christmas baking wouldn’t be complete without these yummy Ginger Snaps. I usually make 3 batches; 2 for gifting and 1 for our cookie jar. Let me tell you, the cookie jar empties out pretty quickly!
Here’s the recipe for Savvy Nana’s Old Fashioned Ginger Snaps. Be sure you make a couple of batches because I guarantee they’ll disappear in a blink of and eye!
By the way they’ll fill the house with a wonderful Christmas aroma while they’re in the oven!
1 cup sugar
3/4 cup vegetable shortening
1/2 tsp sea salt
2 tsp baking soda
1 large egg
1/3 cup unsulphered molasses
2 1/3 cup flour
2 tsp ground ginger
1/2 tsp ground cloves
1 tsp ground cinnamon
Sugar topping – mix 1/2 cup sugar and 1 tsp ground cinnamon together to make this topping
- Pre-heat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit
- Fit standing mixer with a paddle attachment
- Place sugar, shortening, salt, and baking soda into the mixing bowl and mix until smooth and creamy
- Add egg and mix until well blended
- Add molasses and mix until well blended
- In a separate bowl mix flour and spices together and add dry mixture to shortening mixture
- Blend well
- Using a 1” cookie scooper or tablespoon make 1” dough balls.
- Drop each ball into sugar topping and roll in the mixture until well coated
- Place sugared ball on a parchment or silicone mat covered baking sheet about 1” apart
- Bake for 10 minutes
- Remove from oven and let cool for 4-5 minutes
- Using a spatula carefully transfer cookies to a cooling rack and cool completely
- Store in airtight containers