The initial instruction for these Savory Beef Roll Ups used beefsteak, however I favor to use skinny beefsteak. Pounded out skinny, unfold with associate herb cheese paste, lemon zest, piece of prosciutto and rolled – this are therefore delicious.
I love recipes that bring back recollections, either from my mom’s preparation, like this one here, or an evening out celebrating, a definite party or occasion. Food brings US all nearer and could be good thanks to share.
This instruction is not any exception and one i favor from my ma that I switched up a touch. i take advantage of pounded skinny roast rather than flank. Back within the day flank was super cheap and these days it’s obtaining up there in price, besides I favor to grill it myself. This uses those very little “breakfast steaks” as they’re typically referred to as here within the States. Roast cut of meat that’s cut skinny and pounded works dead.
A tasty herb and cheese paste get a kiss of lemon peel and a pleasant salty piece of prosciutto. Al this is often rolled up and secured with toothpicks. Feel free to use skinny cut bacon if you wish; I do if prosciutto isn’t obtainable, works dead, too.
Then a dusting in flour and a pleasant pan sear to caramelize and seal it all for a slow cook stovetop or, like here associate updated methodology victimization my favorite room tool, my Instant Pot. The moment Pot could be a fantastic sterilizer, slow cookware, rice cookware with four alternative choices I actually have not even tried yet! This is merely softened in your mouth delicious!
Be sure to remove the toothpicks and serve the Savory Beef Roll Ups rolled steaks and the beautiful sauce it makes over pan roasted red potatoes and peas, or steamed rice or barley with a side salad.
Click Savory Beef Roll Ups for more recipes enjoy!
2 lbs thin round steak (See Note 1)
3 garlic cloves , minced
1 tsp red pepper flakes
1/4 cup Parmesan cheese
1/4 cup chopped parsley
1 lemon , zest
3 tbsp olive oil , divided
4-6 slices prosciutto (See Note 2)
1/4 cup flour
1/2 cup water
1 onion , medium, diced
1/4 cup Sherry
1. Cut the steak into 8 pieces. Pound the meat out until thin and almost double in size.
2. In a small bowl mix the garlic, red pepper flakes, cheese, parsley, lemon zest and 1 tablespoon olive oil. Spread this on the surface of the steaks.
3. Cut the prosciutto or bacon in half and place a 1/2 piece on each steak. Roll these pieces of steak and secure with a toothpick.
4. Dust each filet roll with the flour. In a skillet over medium high heat brown in remaining 2 tablespoons olive oil, turning on all sides. See 2 cooking methods below. Instant Pot pressure cooker method saves 1 hour cooking time.
5. Stove Top Method: When steaks rolls are completely browned add the water and onion. Cover and cook on low heat for 1 1/2 hours.
6. Remove steak rolls from sauce, discard toothpicks and keep warm. Bring sauce to the boil and add sherry. Reduce to thicken and serve sauce over steak rolls with pan roasted potatoes and peas or over steamed rice or barley.
7. Instant Pot Method: Add browned steak rolls to pressure cooker add the water and onion. Deglaze skillet with sherry and scrape up browned bits on bottom of pan and pour over meat. Cover with lid and choose Meat/Stew setting. Remove toothpicks. Serve sauce over steak rolls with pan roasted potatoes and peas or over steamed rice or barley.
1. I often times buy “breakfast steaks” or the thin round steaks that have been tenderized by the butcher, pre-packaged.
2. Feel free to use thin cut bacon slices to substitute for the prosciutto if you prefer.
3. FYI –
If you’re converting meat from a slow cooker to an Instant Pot, follow this rule: if the meat dish cooks in eight hours on low or four hours on high in the slow cooker, it will cook in 25-30 minutes in the Instant Pot. Make sure the Instant Pot setting reads “sealing” and not “venting” to ensure it’s cooked properly.