Who doesn’t love homemade chocolate chip cookies? Here’s a family favorite, a new twist on the classic cookie jar standard. These bar cookies are crunchy on the outside and very chocolatey in the middle.
It requires a bit more work than the reqular drop cookies, but so worth the extra time and effort. It’s sure to become one of your favorites too!
Makes 32 Cookies
½ cup heavy cream
8 oz. semi-sweet chocolate chip morsels
1 ¾ cups all-purpose flour
¼ tsp. salt
2 sticks unsalted butter, at room temperature
1 2/3 cups packed dark brown sugar
2 large eggs, at room temperature
1 ½ tsp. vanilla extract
- Boil cream over moderate heat.
- Finely grind chocolate chips in a food processor.
- With food processor on add the hot cream and process until smooth.
- Scrape ganache into a bowl and let stand til firm – 30 mins. To 1 hr.
- Pre-heat oven to 350 Degrees
- Lightly butter 9”x13” baking pan. Line pan with wax paper. Butter and flour paper.
- Whisk together flour and salt.
- In large mixing bowl beat butter and brown sugar at medium speed for 3 mins.
- Beat in eggs one at a time.
- Beat in vanilla
- At low speed add flour in 3 increments, batter will be stiff
- Spread batter into pan
- Bake 18-20 mins. , until tester inserted in center comes out clean
- Transfer pan to wire rack and cool completely
- Invert pan onto a large wire rack.
- Remove pan and peel off wax paper.
- Invert cake onto large cutting board.
- With a long serrated knife cut cake in halves crosswise
- Spread chocolate ganache on one half of cake leaving a 1/8” border
- Top with other cake half
- Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate until ganache is set – 2 hours or more
- Trim cake edges.
- Cut lengthwise into 4 strips
- Cut strips crosswise into 8 bars each.
Serve chilled or at room temperature with cold milk for a yummy treat.