The holiday season is upon us. At my house that means cooking, baking, cleaning, shopping, and all the other chores to get ready for holiday entertaining. Things can get pretty hectic, at times I don’t have a lot of time to cook dinner! To make holiday preparations a bit easier I keep several ready made meal items in my freezer, things that can be heated up or tossed together quickly.
One of my favorite things are homemade meatballs. I like meatballs because I can use them to quickly prepare several different meals including Swedish meatballs, Meatball Soup, and of course Spaghetti and Meatballs.
Another family favorite are Meatball Subs. They’re so easy to make and are very filling. I serve this with a tossed salad and a side of chips, so simple! You can of course use frozen meatballs available from any grocery store, I’m not a big fan and like to make my own to freeze. Here’s my recipe for Homemade Meatballs.
Here’s how to make it, enjoy!
1 large loaf French Bread – Cut to the size you want then halved lengthwise to get 2 pieces
12 Cooked meatballs
1 Jar Pasta Sauce
3/4 Cup Shredded Mozzarella Cheese
1. Place frozen meatballs in a heavy saucepan (or you can make them ahead and place them in a crockpot on low for about 4 hours).
2. Cover meatballs with pasta sauce. Simmer on low for about 1 hour or if you need it faster increase the heat and heat until the sauce is bubbling and meat is heated thru.
3. Butter bread and toast in a frying pan until browned.
4. Scoop meatball mixture on one side of the bread and sprinkle with shredded cheese. Sprinkle other side with cheese. Bake in 350 degree oven until cheese melts, about 8 minutes.
5. Remove from oven, place second slice of bread on top to make a sandwich and serve.
It makes a hearty meal with a green salad and if you want some chips.