My husband announced last week that he would start his low carb diet on Monday. He does this to drop the few pounds he gained during a vacation. I think just about everyone I know comes home carrying a few extra pounds around their waist as souvenirs.
When my husband decides to go on one of these diets meal preparations can be challenging. I’m just glad he said low carb not no carb!
Here’s a chicken recipe using the garlic sauce I recently discovered how to make. The sauce is usually used as a dip or sauce over chicken shawarma or shish taouk, Middle Eastern dishes our family loves. I made a quart of this sauce which I keep in the fridge and I’ve been looking for ways to incorporate it in other dishes.
This Garlic Lemon Chicken is so easy to make, it takes less than half an hour to cook up. I served it with a nice salad, but you can serve it over pasta or rice with a simple veggie side dish.
4 boneless skinless chicken breasts – cut in half lengthwise
1/2 cup flour
1 tbls. finely minced garlic
1 tbls. garlic powder
1 tbls. finely chopped parsley
1 tsp. ground white pepper
1 tsp. sea salt
2 tbls. olive oil
1 tbls. butter
1 can chicken broth
1/4 cup Garlic Sauce (click here for recipe)
1 tbls. corn starch
1/4 cup water
1. Combine flour, garlic (minced and powder), parsley, pepper, and salt in a small plate.
2. Pound chicken pieces with a kitchen mallet until they are very thin – about 1/4″.
3. Roll both sides of chicken pieces in flour mixture.
4. Heat olive oil in frying pan then melt butter in oil.
5. Cook floured chicken pieces in oil until done and golden brown in color. (about 7-8 minutes).
6. Remove cooked chicken from pan and set aside, but do not turn off heat.
7. Pour broth into pan and let boil.
8. Add Garlic Sauce to pan and stir until it dissolves.
9. Cut lemon in half – squeeze juice of one half into pan. Slice remaining half into thin circles and set aside.
10. Mix corn starch with water until corn starch is dissolved.
11. Slowly stir in starch mixture to pan. Sauce will slightly thicken.
12. Return cooked chicken to pan and cover with sauce.
13. Remove from heat and garnish with lemon slices.
14. Serve with salad or pasta.