Mexican Wedding Cookies, Russian Tea Cakes, Greek Kourabies, Melting Moments, Meltaways, or Snowball Cookies; whatever you call them these little balls of sweetness are delicious.
Traditionally made with chopped nuts these sugar coated morsels melt in your mouth. They’re the perfect cookies to serve at tea time, snack time, or anytime.
I’ve always loved these cookies and include them in my holiday baking. But I prefer them without nuts, so when I make them I simply omit them.
Here’s the recipe!
1 cup butter softened
1/2 cup powdered sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 1/4 cup flour
1/2 cup chopped nuts if desired
Powdered sugar for coating
- Pre-heat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit
- Fit standing mixer with paddle attachment
- Mix butter and sugar together until creamy
- Mix in vanilla extract
- Add in flour and nuts (if using nuts) and mix until soft dough balls form
- Using a 1” cookie scooper or tablespoon form 1” dough balls
- Place balls on ungreased baking sheet or one covered with parchment paper or silicone mat
- Bake for 9-10 minutes or until balls are set but before they turn brown
- Remove from oven and let cool for a couple of minutes
- Place about 1 cup of powdered sugar in a small bowl
- Roll each cookie in sugar then place on a cooling rack
- Cool completely then roll in sugar again
- Store cookies in airtight containers