We’re planning my mom’s 80th. birthday party this summer and recently decided that we had enough kids attending that a kids’ table was in order. One of the things we had to worry about are food allergies,several of the children have egg and dairy allergies; my grandson Jett among them.
We decided that we should design a kids’ menu that was egg and dairy free, thankfully no one has gluten allergies too. We have been trying different recipes to find food that kids love and will be fun too.
Here’s one of the recipes we will be serving on the kids’ table this summer, Egg & Dairy Free Mini Corn Dog Muffins. It’s very easy to make using just 4 ingredients. You can make it a head of time and freeze, just thaw out before serving.
We thought it would be fun to make individual servings by placing 4 mini muffins in a paper cup and topping it with a party pick. You can serve it with packets or cups of ketchup and mustard for dipping.
1box of Jiffy Corn Muffin Mix
1 tbls. flax seed meal
1/3 cup Soy Milk
4 Hebrew National Beef Franks or your favorite brand of hot dogs
3 tbls. warm water
24 Mini cupcake wrappers (optional)
1. In small container mix flax seed meal with warm water and let sit for 5-10 minutes. It will rise and seem fluffy.
2. In a medium bowl stir together Jiff mix, Soy Milk, and flax seed meal mixture. Batter will be lumpy. Let rest for 10 minutes.
3. Grease mini muffin pans well or line with mini cupcake liners.
4. Cut Hot Dogs in 8 sections along the length. Each piece should reach just below the rim of the mini cupcake when placed in the pan standing up.
5. Fill each cup about halfway and press a hot dog section in the middle of each. Hot dog section should be standing up.
6. Drop a small amount of batter on top of each hot dog. Spread it to the sides as close as possible.
7. Bake in 400 degree oven for 28 minutes or until golden brown.
8. Cool and serve or freeze in ziplock freezer bags.
If you don’t have egg or dairy allergies you can make these using 1 egg and 1/3 cup milk as directed on the Jiff Mix box.
For parties put several muffins in a paper cup or other container and top with a cute party pick or other small decoration.