This mango season my husband has been bringing home lots of mango. I’ve been busy trying different desserts to use them.
I’ve made them into jam, crepes, popsicles, and more. Last weekend I decided to make a custard tart using fresh mangoes. It turned out amazing! I modified an old family recipe for Filipino flan, a rich egg custard, and poured it over sliced fresh mango arranged in a pie crust. I a 9″ tart pan but you can make it in a 9″ pie tin instead. I just thought it looked prettier in the tart pan!
The mango adds a unique flavor to the custard as it cooks. The result is a creamy sweet dessert that can be served by itself or with a scoop of vanilla ice cream.
Here’s the recipe!
Mango Custard Tart
1 unbaked pie crust – you can use the Pillsbury Refrigerated crust or your own recipe
2-3 large ripe mango
1 can condensed milk
1 can evaporated milk
1 cup sugar
1 tsp. vanilla
Cooking spray like Pam
1. Generously spray your tart or pie pan with cooking spray, be sure to spray the sides too.
2. If using refrigerated pie crust press one sheet into the pan, including the sides. If using your own pie crust recipe make enough for 1 crust and press into pan.
3. Separate 1 egg – place the yolk in mixing bowl, brush the egg white on the unbaked crust to keep it from getting soggy.
4. Add remaining 3 eggs to mixing bowl and beat.
5. Add sugar, mix well.
6. Add milks and mix well.
7. Stir in vanilla. Set aside.
8. Peel and slice mango. I cut both sides from the seed and slice each side into thin half circle slices.
9. Arrange mango slices on pie crust.
10. Pour egg/milk mixture over the mango.
11. Bake in 350 degree oven for about 60 minutes or until center of the pie is set and tester comes out clean.
12. Cool to room temperature then chill in fridge before serving.
You will end up with extra egg mixture. I poured the extra mixture into 3 pyrex custard cups and steamed in the oven at the same time. To steam the custard place cups in a baking pan half filled with water. Place in the oven and bake about 50 minutes or until center is set and tester comes out clean. You may have to add water more water to the baking pan during cooking, do not let the pan get dry, it may burn your custard. The custard is yummy! You can use this recipe to make just the custard!