Cleaning the toilet bowl is probably one of life’s most unpleasant tasks. I know I hate cleaning my toilet bowl and am always looking for ways to make the task easier, faster, or at the very least a bit more pleasant.
That’s why I decided to try this DIY Fizzing Toilet Bowl Cleaning Tablets. They’re pretty easy to make and doesn’t really need a bunch of costly ingredients. In fact most of the ingredients are already in your kitchen or can be purchased inexpensively at Walmart or other discount store.
This article contains affiliate links.
After trying these toilet bowl cleaning tablets I can safely say that they aren’t really going to leave your toilet bowl spotless without any effort (elbow grease) on your part. They will however leave the toilet bowl and the bathroom smelling very nice.
These toilet bowl cleaning tablets work best if your toilet bowl isn’t super dirty and have rings around it. Trust me if you have built on rings inside the toilet bowl no tablet, spray, or cleaner will magically remove them. The only way to get rid of those rings in my experience is a good old fashioned scouring with a pumice stone! I prefer using a Pumie, that’s a pumice stone attached to a handle so you can scrub without getting your hands too close to the toilet bowl surface. So before you toss in one of your DIY fizzing toilet bowl cleaning tablet don a pair of disposable gloves , grab a Pumie and scrub!
Once you’ve got the rings out of your toilet bowls these DIY Fizzing cleaning tablets will easily keep the bowl clean and fresh when used weekly. In short they’re a great way to maintain the freshness of your toilet bowl and bathroom! I keep a jar in each bathroom and toss them into the toilet every few days just because I love the smell! I used Neroli essential oil to scent my tablets because I love the citrusy scent of Neroli, but you can scent your tablets with your favorite oils!
Other essential oil scents that would give your bathroom and toilet bowl a fresh scent would be: bergamot, lemon, and orange blossom for a citrusy scent; eucalyptus, tea tree, and peppermint for a minty pine scent; or lavender, ylang ylang, or rosemary for that calming scent like you find at the spas. Or you can mix and match these and other oils to get the scent that you love!
To make these fresh smelling Fizzing Toilet Bowl Cleaning Tablets here’s what you’ll need:
2 Glass bowls – 1 large and 1 small
2 Cups Baking Soda
1/2 Cup Citric Acid powder (you can find this in the canning section of most markets or order it from Amazon)
1 Tsp White Vinegar
2 Tbs Hydrogen Peroxide
Candy or soap molds – I prefer silicone molds that come in various shapes and sizes like hearts and roses. (I usually use the baking or candy molds but keep a set to be used just for making non-food items and one set I use strictly for food like the wine gummy bears I love! – I guess you can use a set to make everything just be sure you thoroughly wash them between uses.)
Once you’ve gathered your supplies it’s time to make your fizzy tablets! Here’s how!
- Place baking soda in the large glass bowl and using a fork or whisk break up any clumps. You want the powder to be fine and powdery not hard and clumpy.
- Stir in the citric acid powder and set the bowl aside for n ow.
- In the small glass bowl mix the vinegar and hydrogen peroxide.
- Slowly, and I mean slowly like one drop at a time, add the vinegar mixture to the baking soda mixture. Again do this very slowly, just a little liquid at a time. If you add too much of the liquid mixture you the baking soda and citric acid will react and you will have a big mess on your hands and no cleaning tablets. That situation is not salvagable!
- Add the essential oil of your choice and mix gently. Again add oil drop by drop.
- Scoop powder into your molds. Don’t overfill the mold as the powder will expand as it dries. So fill it about 3/4 full and gently press the powder into the mold with your finger.
- Let dry overnight.
- Gently pop out each tablet and store in a sealed glass jar. Be sure you label them and keep them out of children’s reach! Keep the jar in your bathroom and pop one in your toilet whenever you want to freshen it up!