My toddler grandchildren all love Mickey Mouse. They love watching the Micky Mouse Club show on Disney Junior, and we love watching them sing and dance to the songs.
I decided to make them their very own “mouse ears” hat, they can wear them when they watch the show!
I modified a free Ravelry pattern by Christins from My Sweet Potato 3, but you can use your favorite hat with earflap pattern if you prefer.
The pattern I used has instructions for Newborn to Adult sizes, you just have to make the color change when needed. Whichever size you use just be sure you make the last 6 rows of the hat and the earflaps in red.
The mouse ears and buttons are crocheted then sewn on. The ties are 1 foot long made with strands of braided yarn. I have written down the pattern for the ears and buttons below.
To download free pdf version click here!
Hook size K 6.50mm
Hook size F 3.75mm
#4 Worsted Yarn in black, red, and white
1. Download free basic hat pattern by Christins from My Sweet Potato 3 click here!
2. Follow basic hat pattern using Hook size K and black yarn until you reach the last 6 rows.
3. Change to red on the row before you begin crocheting the last 6 rows.
4. Continue following the pattern for earflaps. When you finish the 2nd. flap it will tell you to not fasten off and to sc all the way around the hat edge. INSTEAD of sc do this instead:
After 2nd. earflap do not fasten off – ch 2, hdc in each stitch around the hat, join to top of ch 2 you started with. Fasten off, weave in ends.
Ears – make 2 To avoid seams ears are worked in rounds without joining. It is very important you count stitches for each round so that the you make a circle. Use 2 strands of yarn together to make ears stiff enough to stand up.
With Hook size K and 2 strands of black yarn together Ch 2
Rd. 1 6 sc in second chain from hook – DO NOT JOIN (6sc)
Rd. 2 2sc in each st around (12sc)
Rd. 3 *2sc in next st, sc in next st* repeat around (18sc)
Rd. 4 *2sc in next st, sc in next 2 sts* repeat around (24sc)
Rd. 5 *2sc in next st, sc in next 3 sts* repeat around (30sc)
Finishing – slst in next 5 sts, fasten off leaving 6″ tail for sewing
Buttons – Make 2 ovals – to make ovals you will be working in both sides of the chain sts, then working around
With Hook size F and white yarn ch 4
2sc in second ch from hook, 1 sc in next st, 3sc in next st, DO NOT TURN, instead rotate work so that you can crochet on the opposite side of the chain sts, sc in next st, (you should have an oval shape), 2 sc in next st, sc in next 3 sts, 2 sc in next st, sc in next 3 sts, slst in next st. Fasten off leaving 6″ tail for sewing.
1. Sew ears on the top of the hat – look at picture for placement.
2. Sew buttons on the red bottom section – look at picture for placement.
1. Cut 18 strands 3 feet each.
2. Make 6 sections of yarn with 3 strands each.
3. Making sure the ends are even take 1 3 strand section of yarn and fold in half. You will have a loop at the top.
4. Place your hook in one of the earflap stitches from the backside and pull loop end thru.
5. Place cut ends in the loop and pull thru making a knot.
6. Repeat with 2 more 3 strand yarn sections – You will have 3 sections on one side.
7. Loosely braid the 3 sections together until you are 2″ from the end.
8. Knot the braid and trim ends.
9. Repeat with other earflap