It’s time for some DIY doggie treats!
Our Siberian Huskie puppy loves treats. She expects treats whenever she listens to a command to sit, stay, and shake. We go thru a lot of treats!
Recently we went to Petco to buy more treats, we usually buy the bulk biscuits from the treat bar. The price had gone up to over $6 a pound. The pre-packaged ones were more expensive, even those on sale. The “organic” treats were in my opinion ridiculously priced, over $10 for a 6 oz. bag.
I found a recipe online for easy baked dog treats, I tweaked it to suit our needs, adding flax seed meal which is said to be healthy for dogs and good for their skin and coats.
Here is the recipe I ended up with Cannoli loves them! It uses just 3 ingredients and can be made in different flavors, I used sweet potato and apple/blueberry, her favorites!
1/2 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 cup flax seed meal
4 oz. jar of strained baby food (any flavor works as long as it doesn’t have garlic and onions)
Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees
1. Measure the flour and flax seed meal to equal 1 cup.
2. Mix dry ingredients with one 4 oz. jar of baby food in a mixing bowl. Knead until you have a ball of dough. If it’s too loose add flour a little bit at a time until you have the right consistency.
3. Place ball of dough on lightly floured surface and roll to about 1/4″-1/2″ thickness
4. Cut into desired shape with a cookie cutter or use a pizza cutter to cut squares
5. Place on to parchment lined baking sheet. Bake for 20-25 mins.
6. Remove from oven and cool. Store in airtight container.